- Matsya Purana mentions while representing Bhagavan Shiva that the Lord should be garlanded with snakes. Most modern-day images of Shiva only show a single snake around his neck. Another frequent illustration is the five-headed snake forming a canopy over Shivling. There are various tales associating snakes and Lord Shiva with Puranas and other holy scriptures. Let’s talk about the Meaning of Lord Shiva Wearing a Snake Around His Neck.
- In Hinduism, snakes (Nagas) have been a part of worship from the very beginning. The most popular story of Lord Shiva’s association with snakes is when he drinks the poison (kalakuda) from the mouth of Snake Vasuki during the churning of the ocean to get Amrit. Lord Shiva becomes blue-throated from that day on and is called Nilakantha.
- The serpent on Shiva’s neck is said to reflect the endless cycle of birth and regeneration. Another symbolism is that the snake on the neck represents ego which once controlled can be worn as an ornament.
- Another important point is that Lord Shiva is represented with snakes when he is in Kailasa (Himalaya). Snakes serve Lord Shiva as necklace, armlets, and appear in his clothes. They also serve as his bowstring.
- Legend has it that during his marriage with Parvati, all the snakes found on the body of Lord Shiva became ornaments. Shiva is also said to have made ornaments out of poisonous snakes and presented them as a gift to Pravati. Snakes, particularly cobras, are said to carry ‘mani ‘(rubies) in their heads. These rubies are said to act as lamps for Parvati and Shiva during the night.
- Since there is no written guidance in depicting Lord Shiva, artists have made use of their widest imagination when depicting snakes along with Lord Shiva.
- He is known as Pasupathinath, meaning “lord of all creatures” and that he controls all the animals. Since most of us fear the snake, is that the reason he’s wearing them around his neck?
- “Shiva wearing snake as a necklace” has many tales linked to it. Snakes are meant to be a dangerous reptile and are feared by many of us. By wearing a snake as an ornament, Lord Shiva tells us that he controls fear and death.
- It is also said that the three-round snake around the neck of Lord Shiva represents the future, the present, and the past. This states that Lord Shiva is Independent of time and controls time.
This is the Meaning of Lord Shiva Wearing a Snake Around His Neck.
Our Social Media Links :
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/NUTSHELLSCHOOL
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/nutshell_school/
I don’t even know how I ended up here, however I believed this submit used to be good. I do not recognise who you might be but certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger if you happen to aren’t already 😉 Cheers!
Hi are using WordPress for your site platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need any html coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be really appreciated!
Hey there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and in my view suggest to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this website.
Very good written article. It will be valuable to anybody who usess it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out more posts.
I like this website so much, saved to my bookmarks.
This is the most obvious reason why you might want to buy cigarettes online. The price you’re going to pay to buy the same amount of cigarettes online will almost always be cheaper than if you went and bought them in person at a physical store
It’s best to take part in a contest for probably the greatest blogs on the web. I will advocate this web site!
Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Many thanks
It is really a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
Amazing blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused .. Any tips? Thanks!
Great post. I am facing a couple of these problems.
I believe this web site holds some really superb info for everyone :D. “Years wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” by Samuel Ullman.
Thankyou for helping out, fantastic info .